Skip to main content
Helmholtz Munich | Pablo Zaldívar

Is your foreign university degree recognised in Germany?

In the case of foreign higher education degrees, the issuing of a certificate evaluation by the ZAB is necessary so that your degree can be recognised for wage categorisation purposes. The certificate evaluation is also required for visa/residence title formalities.
Please apply for the certificate evaluations early, the process can take up to 3 months. 

Step 1: Is my degree already listed in the ANABIN database? (ANABIN instructions in English)

  • YES: Print out the certificate and attach it to your application documents.
  • NO: continue with step 2.

Step 2: Have your higher education qualifications evaluated by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). The certificate evaluation states the level of the German educational qualification to which your foreign qualification is comparable:

Click here to apply for a Certificate of Equivalence

To apply for a Certificate of Equivalence please use the ZAB application form.

Please fill in the complete application form and enclose all relevant supporting documents. Please refer to the ZAB check list for information on which documents are needed. Send the signed application together with all supporting documents to:

Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB)
Postfach 2240
53012 Bonn